Comcast recently announced the launch of its new X1 video platform. Over the past several years, Comcast has invested $1.6 billion in technology and infrastructure to meet customers’ needs by delivering quality products and services.
Using cloud-enabled technologies, the X1 Platform offers a completely new and more personalized TV experience that provides access to Comcast’s massive library of live and on-demand video presented with a new, much more graphically pleasing on-screen guide along with popular apps like Facebook and Pandora.
The new DVR-enabled X1 boxes enable customers to record four shows and watch a fifth at the same time using AnyRoom® DVR service. With AnyRoom® DVR service customers can watch recorded shows in any room, start watching a recording in one room and then finish in another, or even have different recordings play in different rooms at the same time.
X1 features include:
· A main screen with a new, easy-to-read and -search guide and interface that enables fast, one-click access to a variety of video content and allows customers to access a host of information about the programs they’re watching and related programming;
· The ability to search TV listings, DVR recordings, and Xfinity On Demand for content simultaneously;
· Weather, sports and real-time traffic apps, all specially designed and scaled for use on a TV screen (X1 DVR boxes also include Pandora and Facebook apps);
· An enhanced remote control for the X1 DVR box that’s highly responsive and does not have to be pointed straight at the box to work; and
· The ability to display the highest resolution supported by many new TVs, 1080P at 60 frames per second.
“X1 truly makes the TV experience smarter, more powerful and more personalized than ever before,” said Comcast’s Regional Vice President of Marketing for Tennessee, Kerry McKelvey. “This new cloud-based platform gives us the flexibility to continually provide our customers with the newest technology and deliver the best entertainment experience available anywhere today.”
X1 Remote app lets customers control X1 via motions, gestures, and voice control
The new companion X1 Remote app (available for free for the iPhone and iPod Touch devices via the iOS app store), lets customers use motions, gestures and voice commands to control the X1. For example, customers can actually swipe their iPhones or iPod Touches to page through the interactive TV guides and program personalized short-cuts and favorites (“Quick Links”). They can also shake their devices to pause On Demand content and even use voice commands to navigate the guide and search for content.
In addition, X1 lets customers search through tens of thousands of programming choices using either their iPhones’ or iPod Touches’ virtual keyboards, or they can simply say into these devices, “Show me all action movies on HBO.” The app also has the ability to filter content by genre, whether it’s offered in high-definition, and other criteria, as well as control the DVR and interact with X1’s social media tools and apps.
# # #